Monday Made It #6


I barely made it back this week. It has been one of those weeks when I have the best of intentions to get work done and then things come up. Between a storm coming, knocking down our tree and loosing power for 10 hours, to the tragedies our nation is currently witnessing, to now a sickness (I blame the corn starch from The Color Run), I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to. However, I'm hopeful that this coming week I'll be ready to go!

As always, thanks to Tara for hosting my favorite linky party and for the awesome shout out from one of my past made-its!


First up is a half made it/half organized it system that I am SO pumped for! With my change to flexible seating, I've been trying to think of ways to manage all of my students' supplies. My solution is a called a "home base" station and here is it!



I made the home base signs and attached them using binder clips and some velcro. I'll have between 6-8 home bases scattered around the room. That way, when we transition, there will be a limited number of students in certain space so that there isn't congestion. At their home base, they will find their name tag/pencil holder. At the end of each day, they will put their name tag back at their home base so it doesn't get lost and then when they come in the next morning, they will be ready to go!


Each student will also get a drawer. This drawer will have the main focus for reading however. This is where they will keep their chapter books and reading notebook, since I won't be doing a book box or bag for the library this year. What I love about these sterilite drawers (or I should say ONE thing I love...) is that they have built-in ID labels that you can write on with an expo marker or even a sharpie (and then use an expo marker to color over and remove... believe it, best trick ever!). This will make it great for when I have new students... I can just erase and write a new name!


Now for the goodies on top. Another thing I love about these Sterilite drawers is their built-in compartments on top. It'll house a lot of every day supplies for my kiddos! 

1:  A perfect spot for a pack of post-its
2: My handmade scissors keeper (more on that below)
3. A cup to house extra pencils, expo markers, or highlighters (these were $3 for a set of 3 in the same aisle as the drawers at target)
4. Our name tag and pencil holder place for the end of the day
5. A prime spot for erasers or eraser caps
6. A pencil sharpener fits perfectly in this slot!
7. Mini-stapler and left over parts from the binder clips to change out charts and name plates. I got 3 of these staples for a total of $0.03 at Office Max yesterday!

Back to number 2 for a second: I wanted a way to store the scissors so I made up little scissor keeper blocks. Super simple!


1. Get a block of floral foam from any craft store
2. Use a knife to cut them up into little blocks (I think I got 6 out of 1 block...)
3. Take a pice of felt and cut it into quarters
4. Wrap the block like a present using hot glue to secure
5. Use an adult size scissors to cut some slits into the top for your scissors

Lastly, I'm playing catch up with trying to put things into my TpT shop. I managed to get the reference cards from one of my earlier MMI posts this summer. If you are interested in snagging these, they are now available! I'll be adding more as needs pop up in my classroom and then will increase the price. Click here to check them out!
 

I'm off to rest and hopefully get enough strength to eat some food and check out the other awesome ideas this week!




Signature

10 comments

  1. I love all of your "made its" but will have to keep the scissors stand in mind! I would like to make something like that out of a block of wood <3

    Yukari
    A Pinch of Kinder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the home base idea! I'm going to be incorporating flexible seating and have been pondering how to make supply distribution flow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your "Home Base" stations look great! I may have to try that. Our school wide theme is Sports this year and they would be great with it. Have a HAPPY week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Your students will be blessed by the home base stations!! As usual, I love your choice of fonts. You have an eye for that! Have a great week! Pam from PJ Jots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home base stations are great. I can't wait to hear how your flexible seating goes. I'm sure these will go a long way in helping your students work efficiently. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that scissor holder..so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That scissors storage hack is the best idea ever! I will definitely be making some! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love the idea for the scissor storage. I might have to use that in my classroom!

    Thanks so much!
    Kim
    Stuck In The Middle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great ideas!!!! You got a ton done for not thinking you got anything done! I just need a class set of everything you make and post!!! Love those stations. I would really love to try a flexible seating classroom but not sure I would be able to....hmmmm. Those student reference cards are just fab!!!! Thanks for linking up your wonderfulness friend and feel better soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where are you thinking of storing other notebooks, folders and art boxes? I love the home base!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top