Monday Made It #5

I'm getting the itch to start creating. However, it's different this year. I really want to create useful things for my new year in my new grade and I'm feeling a little lost. I'm thinking it's going to be one of those years that I spend more time during the school year creating as I see needs pop up.

With that said, I have completed  2 projects that have been on my to-do list for far too long and I am super excited about 2 more projects that are currently in the works! Here's a peek at what I've been up to this past week. I'm linking up as usual with the lovely Tara at 4th Grade Frolics and her host for the week Learning in Wonderland (who creates the most amazing things, btw).

Confession: Once upon a time when I was a brand new blogger, I thought I could only participate in MMI if it truly made something on that Monday... hey- the blogging world with all the link ups was completely new to me! 



So here I was last Monday looking through all the awesome Made-Its and Tara blogged about a library event calendar from Michael over at The Thinker Builder. If you want more info on both of Tara or Michael's boards, click on their names to go check out their posts. Michael does an awesome job of explaining it (as Tara noted) so I would start there. But I remember reading about an event calendar at his original post on his blog found here and I tucked it somewhere on a Pinterest board and slowly forgot it. Until Tara shared hers last week and it was the kick in the butt I needed to finish this! It will go perfect in my room on a board I always don't know what to do with.


Here's all the parts separate. I will be attaching the months and the days using push pins most likely, as it's going on a bulletin board. The event day tags will go on using ticky-tac (that blue or white gum looking stuff).


No weekends on this calendar. Less for me to do. I won't do these many events in a month, but it gives you an idea of how it'll look. What I like most is that I can put it up once and leave it for the month- it's not a daily task I have to worry about. 


I wanted to the border to match the little triangle so I made each event 6 times to match the 6 colors I used. Yes folks, this is evidence of my type A personality. My events include:

  • Mysterious Monday- I wrap up a book (either new or one already in our library) to unwrap and reveal... who doesn't love presents!
  • Tuesday Trade- Trade a book with another person from your book bin
  • Wednesday Want That- Students can give me requests that I can go look for to purchase or get from other libraries
  • Thumbs Up Thursday- Book recommendation Day
  • New Find Friday- I highlight a new series/genre and give students a chance to pick one out if it sounds interesting
  • Surprise Event- a catch all if something comes up I want to do
  • 5 on the 5th- have 5 students share their favorite book that they read the past month
  • Treasure on the 10th- Mrs. O recommends a book
  • Nonfiction on the 19th- We highlight a nonfiction book (or 2)
  • Twisted on the 20th- Reading partners books shop for each other (1 book) by interviewing their partner and looking at their partner's reading log or book box to get ideas on what they would like

Also going on this board will be a sign about what I'm reading or have read along with book recommendations (again, idea from Michael found here). This whole board will hopefully keep our library space and love of reading thriving- especially since almost half of my kiddos will be in the same room again... gotta keep them on their toes!

I used GoodReads to find recommendations for common series or books my students enjoy. I'm hoping it will be a tool for me as well to recommend similar books (whether we have them in our classroom library or not- we can find them in our school library).

I made 18 cards to start with and hope to add more once I find out other favorites of my students.




Updated resource alert! I had this growing bundle and it is not complete! I've done revising seminars in my classroom for writing the last 2 years and it has gone great. These seminars are somewhat like stations, but help students discuss, learn and strategy, then apply it to their own writing by using a "mock" student sample. It now has 16 different seminars to cover fiction writing, informational writing, and opinion writing. It's on sale through the 5th in honor of me finally uploading it so grab it now at a discount!



  



And here's sneak peek at what I hopefully get to share next week (pending my productivity!)

Off to check out the other amazing ideas as usual!





Signature

24 comments

  1. Your event calendar....blowing me out of the water. I KNEW I wanted to make this last week when I saw it on Tara's blog, but now seeing it here too...it's a MUST! I'm excited to get back home to my "stuff"...so I can get busy on this...well after I move of course! Love, love, love! Happy 4th, sweet friend! xo
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you like the Reading Strategies Book? It's expensive so I'm not sure if I'd use it enough. Love the Library calendar, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the super clean and preppy look of your calendar. Great. And where did you get those stacking drawers with the little bins on top? Happy Fourth! Kathleen Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the revising seminars. Now I want to make something similar for my older kids. I think this a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I used Serravello's book Teaching Reading in Small Groups to help me with the idea of seminars and adapting it to writing. Good luck :)

      Delete
  5. EVERYTHING you make, I fall in love with!!!! You have such a good eye and it all looks so clean and classy. LOVE your event calendar friend!!! So much and your ideas to go along with it!!! So fab all of it! I need to pin and sit and read more about your revising seminars idea:) Thank you for taking the time to link up:) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors and simple design of your event calendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm a bit obsessed with color coding and coordinating haha

      Delete
  7. I'm LOVING the "What is Mrs. Olson Reading?" board. My office is in our library and I have large windows that are above several bookshelves that I share with the library. This would be great to put on the windows as a bulletin board!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have got a serious eye for design! Everything you make is gorgeous!!!!
    I always enjoy your Made Its!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing such great ideas!! You've inspired me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much for stopping by! That's why I love Monday Made It- it spreads inspiration :)

      Delete
  10. I l.o.v.e. your colors and fonts!! OMG. I enjoyed reading your post! And - happy 4th!! Please visit my Monday Made It HERE. Have a great week! Pam from PJ Jots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I go through spurts of my favorite fonts and these are the currents :) Hope you are enjoying the 4th as well!

      Delete
  11. This was so awesome. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make this library calendar now! I love the idea of wrapping a book. You're right--who doesn't like to get a present. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!?! And I love the idea of not having the book always be brand new to the library- it could be a hidden gem or one that I have stored away- the thrill is the same! Good luck in making your own, it was fun to create!

      Delete
  12. Do you or will you have the library cards and what is Mrs Olson reading sign available to download/buy? I could have just missed it!! Need those for my room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please tell me you are adding the event calendar cards and library cards to your TpT! I know I should go ahead and make my own, but why re-invent such a beautiful wheel? :) Thanks for all of your sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to include it some way in my store soon :) We are dealing with some storm damage so all my productivity has hit a halt :( But hopefully maybe by next Monday!

      Delete
  14. I'm inspired by your classroom library event calendar! What a beautiful completed project!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kristen :) Would love to see what you create!

      Delete
  15. Hi - I love your blog & TPT store! Could you please make your recommendation cards available for purchase on TPT? Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top