Monday Made It: Intervention Needed

I have a disease.

I start with a color theme and I become compulsive about it. Everything has to 'match.'

If anyone has an appropriate intervention to put in place, I will sign that IEP and be on my way.

Until then, here's the latest "Made Its" for the classroom.

Operation: Turn everything teal, green, and blue continued.

(1) Book Buzz Box

Materials for this little beauty include some card stock, index cards, Mod Podge and an old stationary box set that I realized matched my new classroom colors perfectly! A student gave my the stationary as a gift and not only were the cards cute and helpful for quick thank yous, but the box is super cute too! Target has a ton of cute stationary kits now... I'm a little addicted. P.s. Keep the little cardboard piece inside the box- it will help the cards stay in place. I had to put a piece of scrap card stock in the bottom so that cards wouldn't slip down, but that worked just fine. 3 x 5 index cards fit perfectly inside this little box, so I made my dividers the same (plus extra height with the tab of course)

Anywho- back to the purpose of this little puppy.

I've already read my first professional book of the summer, Donalyn Miller's Reading in the Wild and she's convinced me to try some things that I swore I wouldn't try again because they didn't work. Like book recommendations.

I've tried them each year- and they just don't seem to take off. I was going to abandon it this year. But then I remembered this little box. So we try again.


This box has most of our genres that are in our library on these little dividers. If a student wants to recommend a book, they'll take an index card and fill it out and put it behind the divider. That way, if another student really wants a good mystery, they can look in the mystery section.


The dividers also remind them to include the 3 parts: Title and author, one little word to describe the book, and a connection to their own life or another book. On the back, others who have read the book can sign the index card and rate it with a smiley face system (I'm still working on a little sign for this). 


This very well could be a complete flop. We'll see :)

(2) Numbered Pockets

So I love making library pockets. Ok I really don't, but I like how they look. So I made some new ones for my room for one purpose, but then realized all sorts of options. However, I ain't making anymore, so I'll share what I'm using them for plus some other options.

I use a number system in my room. All students have a classroom number. It helps each year to save time on recreating things (unless I'm redoing my color scheme...) and makes it really easy when students moves out and move in. It also helps with taking notes on kids quickly. They still put their names on their papers, and their names are on their hooks and desks and other places. I don't call them by their numbers and they don't write it on their paper. They and I memorize them and it just helps in lots of ways I think. 

So one thing I saw on Pinterest and I loved it was about having a spelling list for each student and housing them in library pockets. Love the idea

I'll be using it a tad differently though. Do you have those words that you always spell wrong? Like for me, the word definitely (yes- the red line came up underneath it and I had to fix it) is my struggle. There's others too, but we'll just stick to that one for now. Well, I noticed that a lot of students have this same thing. They spell "does" like "dose" and whenever it is time to edit, they still make that mistake and don't recognize to fix it. So this year, each student will have an index card (or 2 or 3) where they will keep their commonly misspelled words in so that it is fresh in their heads to be on the look out for them and to help them see how it is spelled. 


Whenever it is time to write, they'll get their little card and put it on their desk as a visual and reminder. I also then can be better at holding them accountable. And when we notice a new word we just can't seem to spell right, we'll add it to the card. I also wanted a place away from their writer's notebook so that it wouldn't get lost and I could visually see who didn't get theirs from their pocket. Just call me the pocket police!!

However, there are a few other ways to use these pockets I thought about:


Use them as a calendar! And slip in index cards for specials events! Keep them general so you can just reuse them or keep a stack where you can write down an important event you want your students to remember. Also, they can be used for classroom jobs! Again, if students have classroom numbers, you can put their job in their pocket complete with important reminders. There are so many options for library pockets!

I made them by printing a template online, trimming it down to fit two on a piece of 8 x 11.5 card stock, and changed the corners. I then cut out numbers on my Cameo, Mod Podge them down, and done!

(3) Job Board

I've loved my job board (yes- they were library pockets) but now that I have these pockets above for a different purpose, I wanted a smaller display and one that again, I could reuse each year. So I made this little puppy- but it is in progress still. I still have to decide if I'm going to put these down on a foam board, a cupboard, a whiteboard... I don't know yet. 


I used symbols that I made for each of the jobs. I just like the simple fun look of them (they remind me of like Iphone apps). They were super easy to make (in terms of the number circles and assembling- the actually making of the little icons did take some time, but it was a fun challenge).


I got the wooden discs in bags of 22 (odd number if you ask me) from Michaels and of course used my vinyl and Cameo to cut the numbers out. I'll be adding velcro or magnets to the numbers depending on how I display these.


For sticking with me- you deserve an award! I created these little posters for my classroom library because of my love affair with this children's book I blogged about a couple days ago. Visit that post (by clicking on the images) to snag them!



Woof! That was long. Maybe I proved my point in my need for a color intervention...

I'm off to seek some sanity (or perhaps it will make it worse) in the other beautiful Monday Made Its at Tara's blog. Also, check back later this week for a new flash freebie for my summer series!




Signature

25 comments

  1. I've never tried making my own library pockets -- I like it! Going to look for a template now!

    Julie
    Math is Elementary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you can customize them for yourself- color, pattern, size... you name it! Enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. I love your color scheme. I'm wanting an new theme for next year but am still debating on what it is going to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You've got lots of time still! It's fun to find something that totally sparks an idea and then you just run with it! Pinterest is my friend :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a blue and green girl, myself! Never thought I adding teal! Hmmmm......
    Love all of your projects-especially the Book Buzz! We are ALL about genres at our school-earning dog tags for genre goals. I think this would lend itself nicely in my classroom!! I think the kids would really love being the first to recommend a book, too!
    Debbi
    3rd Grade Pad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your color scheme is in all of my favorite colors. My clothes would all coordinate. LOL :) I love it.
    ✿April✿
    Grade School Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, clothing is the next step I think... why not continue my color coding obsession so that I can completely blend in, right?? I'm loving the change in color, though! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. love your helper board... super awesome ideas. Thanks for sharing

    Elizabeth
    Hodges Herald

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooo much cuteness in one place!!! Your color scheme is so peaceful! I'm afraid my change is going to hinder focus because of all the colors!!! LOL! OK, I HAVE to do the book buzz and am sick I didn't do it last year because I had awesome, awesome readers!!! Did you make the tabs? Did I miss that? If so, let me know! I would love to get a set!!! Thanks for linking up your wonderfulness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! How did you make your job board?! I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi April! Thanks so much! I just used Powerpoint and used the general shape tools to try to make images that kinda resembled the real thing... some are better than others haha. It took some time and creativity to try to figure out how to make some of them work for some of my classroom jobs.

      Delete
  8. STOP with all of your cuteness and creativity ALL the time! I am so obsessed with your library "book buzz" box. AHH...AND the adorable posters you made. You always impress me with your work. :) I am a bit biased because A) we have the same exact color scheme and B) I have an equally sick obsession with everything having to match exactly.

    Angela
    The Organized Plan Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Angela!! I'm pumped over a new change for the classroom. I'm glad I am in good company with my sick obsession haha. The tabs will be in my store as a freebie *hopefully* tomorrow for you to recreate your own book box if you'd like!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE you book buzz box! Are the sheets you put in the box available anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your made its are always so PRETTY! I am in love with the book recommendation box!!! Now I feel like I NEED one. Reading in the Wild is my favorite professional book. I lend my copy out all the time.
    Diary of a Not So Wimpy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did snag quite a few new ideas from that book- I'm excited to test them out next year!! Thank you for your kind comment- the tabs will be in my store as a freebie *hopefully* tomorrow!

      Delete
  11. Heeeeeeeey!!!! I've missed you!! Where oh where can I get your book buzz cards? I looked in your TpT, but didn't see them. They are awesomeness. I am going to need to make some library pockets to hold tickets or money. I love the idea of putting misspelled words in there also. I haven't done jobs in several years, but I might need to start that up because my room was yuck at the end of the day! Your blog looks so cute!!!!!!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. "It helps each year to save time on recreating things (unless I'm redoing my color scheme...)" story of my life! I even invested in a laminator last year to help prolong the life of my classroom items, NOT. I also can't help but change my colors each year. Or trimester. Whoops. But, I am LOVING your color scheme! It's gender neutral, exciting, and mature : ) Now I just need the strength to not change my theme until August...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach, Megan!! I've had the same main colors the last 3 years, but then I started to add other colors and stuff and it just started to look like a box of Fruit Loops exploded (and not in a good, tasteful way). So your adjectives to describe my new color scheme makes me so happy because that was what I was going for!! I hope you can resist the urge... but if you don't, I wouldn't be made about it ;)

      Delete
  13. Love the "Book Buzz" box. What a clever idea! I would love to try this for student book recommendations. I also love the color scheme. Mine is very similar, I have gray also. My favorite colors for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be adding the tabs in my store hopefully later today for those that might want to try it! And I'm trying to squeeze in some gray also- I'm finding it very calming! Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by!!

      Delete
  14. That color scheme is gorgeous! My room is done in similar colors, but I added purple. My kids laugh and ask if "EVERYTHING" has to match. My response, "Of course it does!". Once I can get back in my classroom after the carpets are clean, I'll post pictures. You're madeits look fabulous.

    P.S. I always had a problem spelling definitely (and I'm an English major *cringe*) until I found this little gem. Learn to spell definitely Scroll down until you find it. LOL

    Simply Secondary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in love with these colors! The box with those shades of blue looks so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How adorable is everything you have featured here!?? I can't even choose one that I like the most! That poster "Take care, little ones...." made me cry. Thanks for sharing your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love using the pockets as a calendar to put reminders. Never thought of that. I am definitely going to use that this year. It will help me keep up with all of the things we teachers are are required to.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top