Monday Made It: A little of this, A little of that, (and freebies!)


I'm back in school mode a bit and thanks to Kristen from Creative Clips (among other amazing artists) and her amazing graphics, I've been checking things off my to-do list!


(1) Mini-Signs and Sign Holders


I found these frames at Michael's for $2. I passed by them once already, so when I went back, I had to get them. I picked up 6 because there are a ton of possibilities for them. For now, I made some signs for our Open House night.


They came in two styles (one horizontal and one vertical) I went with the vertical and the white, although they did have some other colors also (I want to say pink and green for sure...)


I then started making some mini 4x6 signs (love powerpoint... takes the guessing out!)
**Update**
One follower asked how to use PP to make the signs the correct size. All you do is select the rectangle tool. Then, when you start to drag the shape, look for the box that tells you the width and the height. Since I'm working with a 4 x 6 frame, I made my box 4 x 6 by pulling it to those dimensions.


Or... drag a rectangle any given size. Right click it to get the drop down menu and select format shape.


On the left side, choose size. You'll then get this screen where you can manually type in the size you want (I would type in 6 for height and 4 for width.  You'll be set them with signs to fit your frame.



I made mini signs for the supply drop off that goes on during Open House. These were super simple to put together and you can put two different signs in and view from both sides (I've already got ideas for centers, mini-anchor charts for specific students, etc.).


I fooled around with the border a bit that I made. This was the first one. I didn't like how you couldn't see the green/orange side as well, so I did fix it on some of the signs above. My OCD really is kicking in and I'm trying to resist wasting ink and printing again.

Thanks to Creative Clips for the circle graphics, From the Pond for the scribble background, and Hello Fonts by Jen Jones!

If you'd like to grab these borders for your own mini-signs, you can grab the template here
(this is the first time I'm trying to use Drive... bare with me)



 (2) Conflict Resolution Visual

Previous, I blogged about the Peace Rug that I use to help kids solve conflicts they have. This was the first year that I used it, and it helped in many instances. I wanted to have an even more "step-by-step" resource for students to reference while they are at the Peace Rug. We did a lesson from Health Teacher- our health curriculum (that is how I get the upgraded GoNoodle... love it!) on conflict resolution and I actually heard students using these steps. My teammate wanted to know the exact steps too so he can enforce them in his room (since I teach all 3rd graders health). So I made this visual to hang...somewhere... in our room to reference!


There's 4 steps in all.

Each poster has some guiding prompts to help students go through the process. This is all to help lead them towards independence (and doesn't take instructional time away from me) when they are dealing with conflicts with each other.

It'll be a limited time freebie in my store in hopes that it might help your kiddos too! You can pick it up in my store to use with your kiddos!


(3) Assertive Cards

We are a RC school (I've talked about this before) and I truly believe in it... as long as it is done with fidelity. It wasn't always this way until I started to really invest in all aspects that I had been trained on and I found to be able to run a classroom with practically no external motivators (prizes, treats, etc.). It doesn't work for every kid, but I do think it works for the vast majority. Because of that, I am always trying to find ways to be more thorough with it. One aspect is the CARES- cooperation, assertion, responsibility, empathy, self control. Every rule and expectation in our classroom and school can be tied back to one of these aspects. 

The most difficult one for my kiddos to understand is assertion. Then, once again, my teammate Mr. S shared a story that happened with one of his students. The student hadn't turned in her field trip permission slip. When Mr. S. asked her, she said, "We'll my mom didn't sign it." Mr. S. pushed further and asked if she showed her the form. Her response, "No." This was a perfect time to teach her about being assertive for her needs- and Mr. S. did just that. The next day, the student came back so proud that not only was she assertive, but she got her permission slip signed. We started talking and realized our kids didn't know all the chances they have to be assertive, so I made these cards to roll out in our first couple of weeks of school so that they not only see all the ways they can/should be assertive, but it will allow them to practice what it sounds like and feels like. 


There's a few ways to use these cards, and I provided them on this page.

I also explained the 3 different ways you can respond: passive, assertive, and aggressive.

I then included 12 cards (6 examples for home and 6 examples for school) that have different scenarios. 

This is also a freebie in my store for a limited time. You can grab this one in my store also! I hope you can find some use for them!

I'm off to start pinning ideas for my next MMI!!





Signature

22 comments

  1. You are right about kids not knowing when they need to be assertive. I love the follow up question when the teacher asked if the student had shown her mom the permission slip. Yep, happens all the time in my room. Thanks for the freebie!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth, Jennifer!! I hope it helps- Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are all great! I think that your first MMI will work well in the frames I got from IKEA. Your signs are cuter than the ones I made for those frames ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Diane! Thanks again for sharing on Facebook (I haven't quite caught up with the times yet to get a Facebook). I doubt they are cuter, though. ;) I hope you find some uses for them!

      Delete
  3. These look great! Thank you so much for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome, Peg! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. Okay, I LOVE your eye for detail with your products!!!! GREAT!!!! Love the little signs...I just bought some Wednesday, mine were black. Thanks for the freebies:) Love them and I love the idea to use those signs for open house;) Thanks for linking up:)
    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pretty much made my night on all sorts of levels! Thank you for all your kind words and more importantly, for hosting the MMI Linky (especially every week during summer). It's this linky that helps motivate me to create things, which I've found to really enjoy! I hope you find some use, and thank you SO much again! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm on my way to Michaels to grab some of these frames. LOVE them! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm definitely downloading your Conflict Resolution and I Can Be Assertive products as well. They are awesome!

    A Teaspoon of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumor has it that IKEA had these similar frames for like .99- not sure if that still the case (I also heard they might have been discontinued last year) but I still think $2 is pretty reasonable for all the options they have! Thanks for your kind words and I hope the freebies come in handy! :)

      Delete
  6. These are all so great! Thank you so much for offering them up as freebies. I am most definitely going to get me some pink frames!

    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad you like them and I hope you find some pink frames in your area! :)

      Delete
  7. I love those little signs! I have similar ones from Target that are all over my classroom! Thank you for the conflict/resolution cards, I'm intrigued!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! I'd love to know how others use these little signs!

      Delete
  8. I'm so excited that you found these frames at Michael's. I kept seeing everyone had them last summer that they had gotten from Ikea, but I don't have an Ikea near me! YAY!!! I can't wait to get some when I get back home!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodie! Good luck on finding them at a Michael's near you! (I sound like a commercial or something) Can't wait to see what you use them for!

      Delete
  9. Wow! I am SO happy I found your blog! I love your eye for detail with your products! I have those frames as well! Thanks for the freebies!
    Carmen Zeisler

    Exploring Elementary
    Fourth Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, Carmen! Thank you for stopping by and for your sweet comment. I enjoy creating things and am glad you may enjoy them as well! :)

      Delete
  10. These are SUPER adorable!! I love how cute your products are!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rachel! I love creating things on the computer- it's become an outlet for me, but I'm so glad others enjoy it as well. :)

      Delete
  11. Those signs are AWESOME! You said you used PowerPoint - do you mind explaining how exactly you got the right size? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I added some screen shots with directions in the post to help you out! Let me know if you have any other questions. :)
      -Kelli

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top