Have you seen the amazing library displays Catherine creates over at The Brown Bag Teacher? I seriously love seeing what she creates each month. They are so crisp, yet powerful and engaging! She inspired me to put some energy into my library area and switch out my bulletin board with our units and have a display focused on our unit of study.
She has the space to pick out books and feature them, and that's one thing I love about the displays. I don't have that, so I started to think. I really wanted these 3M shelves, but they discontinued them so I can't get anymore. As I was washing the dishes (one of my most hated activities) I was thinking of how I could solve this problem and it hit me like this arctic vortex floating around Minnesota right now! I could create a floating book shelf that is attached to the bulletin board and wall! But how...
I started brainstorming with my hubby... he's a phy ed./health teacher and also has no school due to the cold. We drew some sketches, and created this prototype (ok, don't laugh at us. We have been cooped up and I didn't want to spend money on yet another project that didn't work out so I wanted to test it first). I present to you- the protoype:
Ok- it's not fancy, I get that. But it proved my idea to work! So we braced ourselves for the cold (it was -48 with the windchill) to Staples to pick up some supplies. We needed to run the car anyways to help it start up over the next two days.
The supplies I picked up:
- Larger poster board (in hindsight- I didn't need the largest sheet they had; I only needed half of it, but I wanted to be safe)
- Duct tape (I picked some up at Staples, but then we also went to Target and I found the color I really wanted, so I picked that up too)
- Command hooks (I picked up the normal clear version, and the "utensil hook" clear ones- the ones that has the hook that moves)
- String from Michael's
- Exacto Knife
- Screw and Screwdriver
Hubby helped to score and cut the shelves. We made 2 small ones, 4 medium, and 1 large with half of the board.
I then duct taped the cut up poster board to make it look more colorful, hide the imperfect edges, and provide a bit more support. Nick then made marks on where to create the holes- we used a very fancy machine... a screw.
I tried a few different ways to make it easier to to make the holes. We wanted larger holes for the back so that the hook could fit in there. We used a screwdriver to do this. The front holes though I wanted a bit smaller so we could tie a knot in the string and have it hold, so we had to just use the screw. I hurt my hand so I brought out my trusty ove' glove (seriously- it was one of the best stocking stuffers I have ever gotten- use it for eating ice cream of smoothies to keep my hand from getting too cold and now to help me screw a nail into something... multi-purpose is my kind of thing) to make creating the holes a bit less painful.
To test out our hard work, we mounted one here at home and viola! Here is my cheap, customizable, floating shelf to display books under my bulletin board!
Here's a close up on how we used the command hooks. These hooks will go right underneath the bulletin board in my classroom library area and have books that I want to highlight during our unit of study! I made multiple shelves- they won't all fit, but it will allow me to switch them out based on what books I want to highlight.
Oh, and did I mention, we have yet another.... COLD DAY!!! It's just too cold for our little ones to be outside walking or waiting for the bus. Check out my announcement on my new Instagram account (click on the icon at the top of this page). I'll probably go to school tomorrow though and work in the room a little bit- mainly to get this new bulletin board up and ready for our new unit: Researching Countries!!
Now I'm off to look at the other Made Its!